Monday, September 18, 2006

On bats, volacones, and other things Nica

The other night as I was trying to sleep I kept hearing this noise so finally I decided to go check it out. As I stepped out of my bedroom a bat flew in and landed on my bedroom wall. We leave the balcony door open so I had to stand in the stairway to wait it out.

So Cristina warned me that the gringos here hang out in two groups, the more creative ones and the more athletic ones. My apartment has the athletic ones. Just like Daivs, yeah? No, there we made collages in our spare time and I would take cardio kick boxing to socialize. On Friday my “friends” here were hiking a volcano. Yeah it was really just a huge pile of gravel. Two steps up one step back completely on your hands and knees. After about one hour, I was 75% of the way up I realized, “Hey you don’t have to do this if you don’t want to. Your brothers aren’t here to make you and you really don’t care what these people think. And you don’t enjoy hiking.” So I quit. But still I have plenty of bruises and scrapes to remind me of the occasion and the back of my legs got a nice tan.

That same night after I took a cold shower I grabbed my shirt off the bed to put on and yeah there were ants all over it. Not the nice ants from home that are just annoying. These ants bite and were everywhere. I just got back in the shower and stayed there until I had enough courage to brave the elements.

But things are good too. This morning I went to Curves with Cristina. Last week I had to get a copy of a key made and it was less than 18 Cordobas, so only like a dollar. Last Thursday and Friday were holidays so no school and I have today and tomorrow off as well. I went to the movies on Saturday and it only cost $3 and I didn’t even have to turn off my phone because I wasn’t really worried about incoming calls.

Well lovely people I think that is all for now, keep up the good work.
Love, Joy

No comments: