Monday, September 11, 2006

Uh, mas despacio por favor

Hola, que pasa? Well I'm here about to complete my first week in lovely Managua, Nicaragua. Today was my first day of teaching and i wore white pants and a green shirt. That's the kind of info I'm supposed to put in this thing verdad? Hum I guess the easiest way to break this down is by day so I'll try that.
Tuesday
Bienvenidos a Managua. Yup I got here, safely and fairly stress free considering I flew with my sister-in-law and my 9 month old nephew.
Wednesday
I spent most of the day settling into my new apartment. I'm living with three other girls in a three bedroom three bath apartment. It is very nice and clean and spacious. It seams bigger than my apartment in Davis but maybe because there is only the stuff that would fit in 2 50lb bags each. I also went to the Nicaraguan version of Costco with my brother and sister-in-law. It was more exciting for them then me because I'm not at the state where my body craves orange juice yet.
Thursday
I think this might have been the first day I used my mad Espanol skills. I had a conversation with the maid that consisted of her telling me she could tell I'm an Eklund because I look just like my brothers. Now a little more on the maid situation...I mean my mom does an amazing job on my laundry but this lady not only washes it but puts it back in my dresser. And she put it all in the right place, (this is very important to me folks). Also on Thursday I went with Cristina to a cafe with wireless internet and drank a Nicaraguan Frappachino. Oh and for dinner I went to the house two of my roommates are house-sitting at for dinner.
Friday
This one was interesting. I met with the man Matthew that runs the school where I'm teaching. He is Korean-American. We went out to lunch at one of the four Koren restaurants in Managua. I got some beef thing that tasted very similar to PF Chang's lettuce wraps. I got to use a lot more Spanish this day because the school has a driver that picked me up and we just chatted it up in my poor Spanish.
Saturday
I went to the Market. I bought two rugs.
Sunday (Home stretch folks only two more days)
I went to church in the morning. Actually to two different ones. First the English one that all the missionaries go to and then to the Nicaragua one. My brother spoke at the Nicaraguan one so it was in English with translation. Now this brings me to my next point. Electricity. Saturday it was out from noon until 5:30. Sunday from noon until 7:00. That is annoying. I think everyday there is no electricity for at least a little. But after that from 7-9 my apartment has a coffee night and people come over for a little food and games and stuff. That was good, just like old times.
Monday
Today was my first day of teaching. I walked to my to the school my brother teaches at which is about 8 minutes from my apartment. Then I waited for the driver to pick me up. The school is about a 20 minute drive from here. When I got to the school Matthew wasn't there so this lady in the office was going to show me the classrooms. First she introduced me to the first grade class, then to the second grade class. When I walked into the second grade class she left me there and I was supposed to begin the molding of these 18 young minds. I almost started laughing but restrained myself. Yeah second graders are crazy, they don't stay in the desks or in the classroom necessarily. They already knew colors and numbers so today they learned to say "Hello, my name is..." and "How do you say...?". After a super productive hour with second grade it was recess. Matthew still wasn't there. I talked with some of the kids and ate the last of my Trader Joe's Sweet, Savory, and Tart trail mix. Next I followed the third grade teacher into his room. I was doing pretty well until they asked my how to say ardilla in English. Yeah apparently it is Squirrel. After that I went back into the first grade class. They made second graders look like angels. Now I am at my brother's school using the internet to write this way too long letter.

I love you, Joy

No comments: