Friday, September 1, 2006

1st Nica Letter Revised and Expanded

Dearly Beloved, how are you? I am doing well, I am typing from my room at my parent's house and am surrounded by bags of stuff I haven't yet unpacked from when I moved out of my apartment in Davis two months ago. It is odd because I've been working in an office for the past two weeks organizing and filing, yet when I come home, I dig through things to try to find slips of paper with e-mails written on them. So the good news is, despite my chaos, you made the cut onto my e-mail list. However, my mom just informed me that maybe everyone doesn't want e-mail updates on my adventures. So if you are one of those people, I won't be offended but this will be my last e-mail to you. On the other hand, if you or someone you know would like to hear from me just send me an e-mail back and you'll be added to my mailing list, and I'll be really happy.

And enough of that and here comes update numero uno.

For the past year I knew that I was going to be graduating soon and that I would have to move on to something else in my life. What that would be was a mystery, but the idea of getting a career or going to grad school wasn't looking very exciting. Last summer my oldest brother, Jeremy and his wife Cristina moved to Nicaragua and since then they have been trying to sell the idea to me. Well I've been down there twice and it is amazing how many doors God has opened up as I began praying about it. So from September 5th to December 18th I will be living in Managua, Nicaragua (that's Central America folks). I will be teaching English three days a week at a local Nicaraguan school in the slums. Currently the school has no English program at all or any resources, so what ever I have to give they will take. The man, Matthew, that runs the school doesn't seem to have any problems with the fact that I have no experience with this kind of business except 6 years of Spanish. To my knowledge I will be teaching Kinder-Third grade English two days a week and Bible to all grades (K-6) one day. I am not going to live with Jeremy and Cristina but with three gringa girls that teach with Jeremy at the American school.

So that leaves me with little less than a month and the time is already filling up. On Wednesday morning I am flying to Mascota, Mexico on a missions trip with nine friends. When I get back I am going to visit my grandparents in Oregon for the weekend, then I will be back in Concord a week before I leave. Throughout all this it is amazing to see how much God continually provides and how smoothly things have been coming together.

Even if you don't want more e-mails I want you to know how much of a blessing and encouragement you have been in my life. Thank you for taking the time to read this and sorry it is so long (I hate reading long e-mails).

PS here's whats new. I did go to Mexico and it was absolutely amazing and God really used it to prepare me for Nicaragua. Being on the trip reminded me of things like that kids like to color. So now I just need to find a coloring book and I'll be set. I didn't go to Oregon because the day before I went to Mexico my grandma passed away. It ended up being really perfect timing (if there is such a thing) and we had a memorial service last weekend were I got to see lots of family. So now I leave on Tuesday and I bought shampoo yesterday so I'm ready to go.

I love you, Joy

I have lots of prayer requests but this is one way you could pray "To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus will be glorified in you," -2 Thessalonians 1:11-12

No comments: