Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Happy 2007

Hello, how are you? I am in Tennessee, I fly home tomorrow night. Today I spent mostly lying on the couch because lovely roommate here got me sick. Maybe you don't know why I am here so I will give the least cultish explanation I can think of (if you don't understand what I mean by that, don't try to read into it). I know two people that live In Memphis and their church was having a little New Year's conference for "young adults", so I decided to go. My sister told me that Memphis is terrible and tried to discourage my adventure but I decided to go anyways. And adventure it has been. I flew into Nashville last Wednesday and they lost my bag. Oh well, M.L.A. (momentary light affliction). Fortunately Memphis is the FedEx capital of the world or something so my bag got here the next morning. Then on the way home from the airport my ride got a little turned around on the freeway. It was quite the bonding experience.
There are two parts of Joy, well, maybe there are more, but let's focus on two. There is the Joy that wants to meet everyone and become their best friend ever. Then there is the Joy that is incapable of carrying on a normal conversation. The second Joy is definitely the one that decided to come with me on this trip. So obviously I made some really deep meaningful friendships. Why do I have this problem? I think I've been experiencing emotional shut-down. But maybe that is the Tylenol cold talking. I had all sorts of fun things to write in this letter but now I am drawing a blank. I just left the room because Amy started to read out loud. I am not a big fan of exercising my listening comprehension skills plus she is reading some war book, so I don't think the benefit would outweigh the cost. People keep asking me if I am going back to Nicaragua, I am. I leave on January 28th and am committed to be there until November. I have not been preparing for that at all. The more I write the more pathetic this e-mail is going to end up being so I'll sign off now.
love, Joy

No comments: