Wednesday, December 6, 2006

i heart malt-o-meal

Hello group of faithful followers. Last week I got a phone call from someone claiming that my updates are not filled with anything noteworthy. He, of course, believed that his phone call was worthy of being included in the next update. People, I know it may not seem like it, but I do have standards. When I received the phone call I was at Peet's coffee with madre, I got the peppermint latte, it was a little heavy on the peppermint. I almost died when I was trying to get the last bit of foam and ended up with a shot of pure peppermint, so then I had to pour my mom's tea in the cup to try to wash away the terrible terrible taste left in my mouth. This Monday at Peet's I got the gingerbread latte, my sister thought is was disgusting but after a while it really grew on me.
Yesterday my mother volunteered my dad to help me set up Christmas decorations, if you have ever embarked on a project with my father you may realize the challenge that this presented. But as the Good Book says "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart." Now we have lights up outside and a nicely decorated tree, and the attic is cleaned. Plus it gave me an excuse to listen to Amy Grant's "A Christmas Album" which is my absolute fav. Now as I was decorating the tree I came across many hand-made decorations, I feel I must take this time to apologize to my parents, grandparents, and whoever else I felt like bestowing my crafts upon. I really did think they were cool at the time. Hopefully, over the years, my craftiness has improved.
As far as artistic talent goes goes, this weekend I went back to my roots. On Saturday night I stayed at my grandpa's in Lake Tahoe, as well as being the coldest house I have ever been in, it also contains the most collector's items. I mean as a self-proclaimed collector, whatever he buys is automatically a collector's item, right? And he is an artist so mixed in with art-work he has purchased over the years there are hundreds of Vern Lee replicates and originals. So really, making crafts is a way to stay connected to my heritage. And also spreading out my stuff in every room of the house is in my blood, therefore maybe I should stop fighting it.
On Sunday I went to the second coldest house ever, in lovely Shingle Springs, Nevada. But after three hours it warmed up from it's original 42 degrees to a nice 65. My last week in Nicaragua was one of the coldest in history and it had a low of 65 in the morning. So needless to say the climate here is a little different than the nearly constant heat and humidity in Managua.
Oh, I've made some discoveries about myself lately, like that I really do like Malt-O-Meal. If you haven't eaten it lately you don't know what you are missing out on. And no you don't have to have it with Ovaltine. This morning, or I guess early afternoon, for breakfast I had corn Chex which happens to be another one of my favorites so next time you are in the cereal aisle you should pick up a box of that too.
Love, Joy
P.S. If you were still wondering and couldn't pick up on my subtlety, no I haven't started working.

No comments: