Friday, September 21, 2007

some tidbits on my life

Once again it's Friday post time because things have just been taking a little longer to come together. Last weekend I did end up going to the beach. I went on a different trip than I had mentioned previously. It was shorter, cheaper, and with fewer people, thus, more tolerable. I didn't actually go in the ocean because it was pretty gross but the resort we stayed at had nice pools and hammocks. I am a big fan of hammocks. I thought about taking a picture but I did want you to get the wrong impression of missionary life. Oh wait, I'm not one so I can tell you whatever a want without thinking you'll judge me for spending my support money frivolously. Good thing I have that freedom. If I didn't, can you imagine how boring these posts would be? Oh well, still no picture.

Having a long weekend is great for the most part but the first day back isn't always the greatest. Actually, if I was disposed to cry I think Wednesday morning would have been a prime opportunity. After that my day got better. I was just a tad frustrated because my 1st grade class that used to be the best is now uncontrollable. However, thanks to my cat-like reflexes and brute strength I didn't get bitten. I think I need to pray more.

I guess now on Fridays a group of pre-med students come to my school. Last time they taught my students to watch for still water because it breeds mosquitoes and how to was their hands. I was under the impression that today's lesson was going to be on how to wash hair but it was really vaccination day. I just finished reading the book "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." It takes place in Brooklyn (imagine that) in the 1910's. At that time in the States students got vaccinations in mass. The still do it here, they just came into the class room and gave crying students shots and signed off their health cards. Another prime photo that I didn't take.

According to my calculations I have less than three months of Nicaraguan life left. Things could change but I think some people would rather I stuck to the original plan. As far as "plans" go once December 4th comes I have none whatsoever. That is a strange thing to think about and another thing that I should pray about more frequently.

Other exciting news. Last night a new light was brought into my family. This one came in the form of a boy named Grady William. I won't get to see him until Christmas but am hoping that the super awkward baby stage will be over by then. And it's not like he'll remember I wasn't there so I think I can still keep my position as best aunt.

Have a great weekend, Joy

No comments: