Thursday, August 9, 2007

Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

My family just went on a camping trip without me. Talking to my sister about it I got this idea to compare and contrast family camping and my life in Nicaragua in an essay format. As I started to write I realized that it was taking too much time and that I haven't written an essay in a while. But I still liked the compare and contrast idea so I think I'll outline instead and you can turn it into an essay for me. Automatic A if anyone does that.

  • While camping evidently my dad used window cleaner as soap, in Nicaragua I use bug spray as perfume.
  • When camping the days are hot and you swim in the ice cold river, in Nicaragua the days are hot and you swim in the over chlorinated pool.
  • Neither while camping nor in Nicaragua is there an option for a hot shower.
  • In neither location is there electricity.
  • On camping trips we bring a generator and propane lanterns, in Nicaragua we use candles.
  • In the woods we play Ticket to Ride. In Nicaragua we go see the bloodiest movie ever called “Exterminio 2” aka “28 Weeks Later” because we have lazy Spanish and miss the part in the review that says the disease is people eating each other.
  • While camping we eat a lot of instant oatmeal and hobo pies, in Nicaragua we eat at TGI Friday's 3 times in one week.
  • Camping trips provide a variety of methods of exercise, Nicaragua has Curves and then the 45 minute walk home from Curves in the rain.
  • Nicaragua has phones, internet, and cable TV (if there is electricity), camping doesn't.
  • During camping trips no one in my family goes to work. In Nicaragua, if it isn't a holiday, I do go to work. This is not the case with all the teachers at my school. One of the 1st grade teachers didn't come last Thursday (possibly she was camping) there was no substitute and they didn't send the kids home. Instead they combined the two first grade classes for one teacher. What a reward for coming to work, 55 students. I went in to help and almost stepped on a kid who was lying on the floor holding his stomach and crying. While camping I'm normally the one crying because I am so bored.
  • Other campers say “Hi, neighbor,” when you're camping, in Nicaragua people say “Hola, Chela
  • Both campers and Nicaraguan children are constantly dirty.
  • In Nicaragua I have a maid, while camping I have my mom.


I think that concludes my comparisons for now, there are more, I'm sure. I haven't decided if life in Nicaragua's capital city or in the woods is more rural. Maybe now I'm just wondering why I'm in Nicaragua if I profess to hate camping.


I think I have a disease I like to call HSFA that stands for Hyper sensitive fore arm. Does that ever happen to you? It totally feels like I have an open wound on my left fore arm but it looks normal.

Happy Santo Domingo, we don't have school tomorrow.

No comments: