Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Pictures, illness, birthdays, and philosophical thoughts

Hello, don't worry the time has come for y'all to sit back relax and enjoy my weekly update. I actually considered not writing one because I couldn't think of anything to say, but then I remembered this me and, as you probably know, I always have something to say. First topic of discussion (discuss:to consider or examine by argument, comment, etc.):

-I already shared the story behind the first picture, "The volcano of enlightenment." I think that seeing this picture will help redeem myself if you thought I was just a wimp, yes we were supposed to climb up that. And on a less bitter note I am standing with 2 of my roommates, Aimee(the blond one), and Rachel(the one in green), I'm wearing the red hat but if you couldn't figure that out stop reading this.



-This is a picture of two of the boys in my third grade class, Mauricio and Engels. They may look cute but later on Mauricio was in class trying to choke another student with that same balloon as the other teachers stood by and laughed and I tried to keep my hand between the balloon and neck. I haven't seen them in a few weeks but the promotion ceremonies are next Friday, I think.


-These are the girls that I tutor from across the street, Natasha is on the left and Sophie is on the right. Now focus on those lovely pieces of artwork, designed by yours truly. Today we read the book Thank You, Brother Bear, and although the title doesn't mention it, the moose plays a very important roll. Not that Natasha would know, she spends most of the time rolling on the floor and wiping her snotty nose on the throw pillows. Too much information? Sorry I had to witness it.

Now on to illness, I think without being graphic the phrase, "I lost my lunch," could be used if you times it by about eight. But that was all on Sunday night/Monday morning and today I am feeling much better.
Yesterday was my nephew Elijah's first birthday, I made a carrot cake, that I heard was nice (I still wasn't up to food), for the party and I'm sure he'll have fond memories for many years to come, similar to those I have of my first birthday party except he didn't wear a dress.
I am reading a book by George MacDonald right now and today I came across a quote today, "A man ought never to feel rich because of riches, nor poor because of poverty. The perfect man must always feel rich, because of God is rich." I think that is an important realization, if one is perfected in Christ all these worldly standards don't even matter. Even when we have nothing, we have everything. More and more I have to see that living here isn't about giving people material things, teaching them English, or doing whatever other humanitarian work that comes my way. But demonstrating the riches we have because of who our Father is. All of this is quite a load off if you really think about it, I'm poor and suck at teaching English.
Well, as I like to say, nos vemos.
Love, Joy

No comments: