Wednesday, November 1, 2006

i love you, i love you not

Today was my last day of school. Or that is what I heard when I got there, so obviously I didn’t have any end of the year activities planned. Tomorrow is a national holiday for Day of the Dead and then we don’t have school Friday or Monday because of the elections on Sunday. Final exams start next Tuesday but I’m not giving exams because my students don’t know anything. I’m still here until the middle of December so I’ll have to figure out what to do with myself. Well, I’ll still have my other two jobs, I think. The communication here is definitely lacking, but that is what is to be expected in a country that has four to five hour power outages every day.
On national news, the presidential elections are Sunday. Monday schools are cancelled because of anticipated riots. The US embassy recommends that we avoid large crowds, which puts a little damper on my plans to protest.
Now back to the electricity issue, in honor of the elections, there is a rumor that we will have power for ten days straight. But these inconveniences don’t really matter, what would be the point of living in Nicaragua if everything was the same. Plus, when the electricity is out we are forced to take time out from all the amenities that no longer work and come back to the simpler times. Times without running water, lights, television, or internet. Last night we just sat at the dinner table for 2 hours because none of us had anything better to do.
Monday night I went to the movies. So Cristina was just going to buy both of our tickets because she had a 100 cord and the tickets are 50 cords each. But then the girl at the counter asked if we wanted the package deal. At first we said no, because you never really need the package deal. But you know what it was? 2 tickets, a soda, and either a hot dog or nachos, for 99 cords. Yup, it was 1 cord cheaper to get the special and it included a beverage. So there we have yet another positive aspect of Nicaraguan life.
Peace out, Joy
P.S. I have one pair of khaki pants and as of today I have worn them to school three times. And every time I have worn them my driver has forgotten to pick me up, coincidence? Or are my pants being persecuted? Or is there another option that I am overlooking?

No comments: