Friday, June 18, 2010

Go Team USA

My new way to keep entertained at work is by giving rewards and treats. The rewards have the potential of costing the company a lot of money but usually people don’t participate in my challenges so they are pretty pointless.
Here are some recent ones:
I put a suggestion box in the kitchen any suggestion and I give the person a $5 gift card. Do people write down their suggestions? Rarely, mostly they just complain.
We’re thinking if switching the coffee in the kitchen, it has been a very dramatic process. Since I don’t drink coffee I told people to try my 4 samples and give feed back and they would get participation prizes. I gave $5 gift cards to each person that turned in at least one response. Only 7 people got them.
We have a new girl Kayla, with new people I like to put a fun fact and their favorite ice cream on the board in the kitchen. She told me that she is boring and couldn’t think of one. I told the office that they have until today to ask her one question each and whoever gets the most interesting response wins a $5 gift card. So far I’ve only received 4 facts and one of them is that she has “a brown dog that is kind of large.”
Today when the World Cup game (which I really have no interest in) ended at 9 I set up snacks: orange slices, Capri Suns, and Quaker granola bars. People really liked it but only about 5 people understood the correlation between the foods I brought and soccer.
I’m going to keep doing these things for the remnant (and for myself).
The other day when I was proofing BBQ invitations for my boss I caught that it asked people to bring appetizers and hors D’vours. I had to double check fist that they were in fact the same thing (I never know about rich people rules) then I told him. He and his wife both separately expressed their gratitude, maybe I’ll get a raise.
I’ve been continuing to pursue being social…
I’ve been talking on the phone more lately, and not just to my sister.
Last night I went to dinner with one of my Davis roommates she only lives an hour away and we hadn’t talked since December.
Last week I emailed this girl from work to see if she wanted to go out to coffee when we got off. She never responded.
Last Saturday I went to a wedding by myself and actually stayed for the reception. I was talking to this girl (white like me) and this black man asked if we were sisters, that is the second time that I have been asked that this month.

No comments: