Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Vida in Mexico

I came down to Mascota last Wednesday and it may have caught some of you off guard (I know it did me) so I figured I'd let you know what is going on. Some of this may be repetitive so you can read at your own discretion.

There is this lady Luz, she lives in this town, Mascota but she used to live in San Diego, that is why I know her. She is originally from here, and three years ago moved back to share the gospel. Some of the churches that support her try to send down people to help her out with whatever and to encourage her. I first came down with a group in '06 and then in '08 and earlier this year. Since my visit in February she has been encouraging me to come stay here for longer than just a week. I love it here but I also am quite fond of my life in the US so I wasn't sure what I should do. So I prayed and sought council and looked at my calendar and I'm here.

Now onto what I've been doing. My sister, Julie and her husband, Dylan flew down with me on the 10th and were here until Monday. It was great traveling with them, they flew down in first class and sneaked food to me to go with the salt and pretzels the coach passengers get. Mostly what Luz does is lead Bible studies and visit people, so that is what we did (and what I'll continue doing). You can probably check mi hermana's blog to read about Mascota from my her perspective some time soon.

That is the overview, now I'll go onto some specifics.
  • Every night around 10 Luz goes to a house for a prayer meeting. This guy, Ramon...I think, had a blood vessel pop in his brain and temporarily lost his vision. Now I guess he sees but with double vision. The family invited Luz and another lady to come and pray for them. So every night she goes and reads the Bible a little and prays. She is the only one that participates so you'd think they were bored but they keep inviting her back and usually about ten family members are there.
  • The food here is great, and I think I'm getting used to two meals a day thing. Today it was a little rough because we had toast and a smoothie at 10 and then at 4 we still hadn't eaten again. Then we stopped by someone's house to visit and got this huge lunch of super spicy soup and gorditos.
  • When Julie and Dylan were here it was really hot but now the rain is here and it is a lot cooler. Probably not cool enough to justify the wool socks that I am wearing but I am too lazy to take them off.
  • Last night I started an art class. I am not an artist but supposedly that isn't important. We'll see.


Public Service Announcement
You can still buy my book by clicking on the link on my last post.If I sell 1,000 copies I can go to Ireland in the fall.

1 comment:

Mama G said...

if art is a part of your heart, then never, never let it depart