Friday, June 5, 2009

my year; half-full or half-empty

Introduction
For the past 3 months I have been planning on sending out an update on June 19th because that is 6 months from when I moved back from Nicaragua. I’m going to be busy on June 19th so instead you’re getting this on June 5th, two weeks early. So much for planning. And now I am not in a writing mood, I have too many thoughts in my head and it is hard to get them on to paper.
Travels
The last three months have been pretty busy considering my lack of schedule or responsibilities. In March I worked then in April I travelled and I guess in May I travelled some more. It has been really nice visiting people; it’s much better than sporadic e-mails and phone calls. When in Concord, it’s been good participating in family life: dinners and coffee shops and toddlers.
Mexico
On Wednesday I’m leaving for Mascota, Jalisco, Mexico for a month. It has been in the back of my mind for a while but recently I’ve been receiving lots of confirmation so Monday I bought my tickets. This will be my fourth trip there to visit Luz, a national missionary there. I’ll be there from June 10th to July 7th; much longer than I’ve stayed in the past but still quite a bit shorter than the year that she thought I should come for. I don’t really know what I am thinking/feeling about going so I think I’ll break some things down for you
• I love Mascota and am extra excited because my sister and brother-in-law are coming for the first five days I’ll be there. You should come down too, swine flu and drug wars make flights cheep.
• Yesterday I bought bug spray and was annoyed. I had plenty of bug spray that I left in Nicaragua because I wasn’t planning on needing it anymore. Yet here I am going back to hot humid bug ridden Latin America. Same goes with shorts.
• Once I am in a place I easily adapt but that makes leaving places harder, I’m accustomed to my life here now and a month is kind of a long time. Even typing that is a reminder how susceptible I am to getting attached to this world when I am made for another.
• As I said earlier there has been lots of confirmation that I should go. That makes things easier but there are still practical things that I start worrying about. Fortunately God has a plan that doesn’t rely on my plans.
Book
I wrote a book. Nicaragua, Nicaraguita: 91 letters from the land of lakes and volcanoes. If you have read my e-mail updates than essentially you have read the book. Now, you may be thinking, “Joy, if I’ve already read it for free why would I now buy it for $12 + S/H?” My response, “Just think of all those great books that came out first in magazine or newspaper installments in and then were later published in their entirety, (ex. The Bible) plus it has a pretty cover.” Other than that, you are right, there is no reason but it was very cathartic (and a little embarrassing) for me to read through 2.25 years of my life. If you are thinking that this is the perfect gift for every occasion you can buy as many copies as you wish here
Love, joy

1 comment:

colleen said...

a worthy investment, i think.