Thursday, April 24, 2008

My trip to the ranch, and some other things...

The Ranch

Location:  Chontales, Nicaragua, about three hours away from Managua in the mountains.  It is known for its rivers being of milk and rocks of cheese, figuratively.

Accommodations: We stayed at a clean hotel that was only $9 a night for a double room.  The price was good but the location was right off the main road so very loud and morning showers were virtually impossible because of the frigidness of the water.

Food: Although we slept in a hotel, a family that some of my roommates know hosted us.  They fed us amazing meals prepared by their household staff.   There was good cheese involved.

Activities: Friday eight of us drove there, that was an activity in and of itself.   Friday night we had a bonfire on our host family’s ranch.  I, oddly enough, was cold.  We had s’mores and hotdogs.  Saturday we went to the ranch and alternated between the activities of riding horses and napping in hammocks.  I was a little nervous about the horse riding but my equestrian skills didn’t fail me. 


Me with a borrowed hat sitting on Angel

I just had one mishap with a tree but with the help of a Swiss Army knife damage was easily undone.  The napping in a hammock didn’t cause any problems.  On Saturday night we went to a rodeo, which was probably one of the most boring things ever.  My favorite act was this father son pair riding their horses in matching outfits while reciting poetry.  I learned that the whole rodeo thing is just an excuse to get dressed up, hang out, and drink.  Since my cowboy hat is in California I wasn’t able to fully participate.   

Sitting on our hosts' porch, waiting to leave for the rodeo (thus my pigtail braids)

Sunday we spent picking tics off of ourselves and eating amazing food until it was time to drive home. 

Home Again   

Monday I went to work at the library my scanner came in but I didn’t have batteries so I wasn’t able to use it.   Then it took me two days to figure out the software I was supposed to have downloaded but now it works and sometime soon I can start using it.  I know that you are really excited to hear this, but honestly what type of updates do you expect to hear from a librarian.  This week I also finished putting all of the books on the shelves, not really in any order but there are no more suitcases full.

Speaking of suitcases and libraries I am leaving again today to go to check out the library system in San Juan.  Actually as I was typing that sentence the lady, Jane that we are meeting with called.  Crazy.  (And while I got up to answer the phone our maid started changing the sheets on my bed.)  More good news on San Juan, we were able to get one room tonight at the nice hotel that wasn’t ridiculously expensive.     

I guess I should mention my Domestic Arts job as well.  We are sewing now, which is a slow process.  We are finishing up making pillowcases, in theory not that difficult.  Then we are starting on blankets, also not really that hard.  I guess back in the Domestic Arts day, they used to make whole outfits.  I told my students that they should appreciate the fact that I am not having them do that.    

 

No comments: