Friday, December 28, 2007

simplify

Home is where the heart is.
Today marks my 14th day back in California. My heart is in my body, I feel fairly comfortable and “at home” in my skin. What am I talking about.

All work and no play makes days sad and gray.
Some fine folks have been hiring me to do things. Last week my brother-in-law's high school friend had me run errands for him, my aunt had me wrap Christmas presents, on Wednesday I did some house cleaning (and am doing some more tomorrow), and the mother of all odd-jobs...Grandpa Vern is paying me to type up a book of his poetry. I've also been able to spend plenty of time sitting around so don't worry my days aren't gray (just cold) and you can still have me do stuff for you.

When God shuts a door He opens a window.
On my last night in Nicaragua Lori and I wanted to go to the circus. Unfortunately, we got there late and they had already locked the doors. After standing outside pouting and looking and the miniature ponies for a few minuets we gave up and went to the fair. But lo and behold East Bay Regional Data had extra tickets to their company Christmas party and invited me (since I've worked there at least 30 hours this year). And guess where the party was. Cirque du Soleil. I was like a dream come true. I mean my only W in college was in tumbling so am impressed by a cart wheel, but they things they did were beyond amazing.

“There exist only three beings worthy of respect: the priest, the soldier, the poet. To know, to kill, to create.” -Charles Bauderlaire
Yes that is a stupid quote, but it is a nice transition into the topic of poetry. We had our 3rd annual Christmas Eve poetry contest this year. I got second place to my brother Joel. At least we didn't let Eric win again. For ridiculousness Grandpa Vern should have won with his drunk driving poem, but then he would have ended up with a plaque with a picture of himself. Definitely the poets in our family are not worthy of respect.

If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and are planing on having a fantastic new year. I think I'm going to Huntington Beach on Tuesday for a few days so let me know if you're in that area.

No comments: