Wednesday, July 4, 2007

America the Beautiful


I was toting my pack along the long dusty Winnemucca road
When along came a semi with a high canvas covered load
If your goin' to Winnemucca, Mack with me you can ride
And so I climbed into the cab and then I settled down inside
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand
And I said, "Listen! I've traveled every road in this here land!"
I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere
Directions: Concord, CA to Absarokee, MT
1. Load up the cars. Seven adults, two toddlers, and ten days of luggage.
2. Stop for Peet's coffee.
3. Take I-680 East towards Sacramento. Go 19.7 miles.
4. Take the Sacramento exit onto I-80 East go 41.6 miles.
5. Take the Reno exit onto I-80 East – go 169 miles until Fernly, Nevada. The stop in Fernly will be short-lived. They don't even have a page on Wikipedia.
6. Continue driving on I-80 East 130 miles until Winnemucca. During this time it would be very appropriate to listen to Johnny Cash. (Winnemucca does have a page on Wikipedia, but I'll fill you in on the important details without on-line research). The hotels have balcony bars that are wider than standard which 2-year olds may take advantage of during attempted suicides. There is also a strong Basque contingency in Winnemucca. If you don't know much about the Basque they like to have darkly lit overpriced restaurants with food like meats with gravies and soups. The parking lots in Winnemucca are very nice for toddler boys to fall out of the car on to their faces. The emergency room nicely located near a park.
6. After leaving Winnemucca an hour later than intended (although the ETD was up for debate). Get back on I-80 East for 122 miles to Elko, Nevada. In Elko there is a very nice park and two Starbucks.
7. Get back on I-80 East for 41 miles
8. Take Exit #353/East Wells 0.3 miles
9. Turn left on US-93 – go 109 miles. Arrive in Pocatello, Idaho. Hotels in Idaho are about 1000 times nicer than in Nevada. They have waffle irons as part of their continental breakfasts.
10. Keep going North East on a variety of highways for 250 or so miles. Stopping in Twin Falls and then, eventually, in Bozeman, Montana at “The Leaf and Bean.” Keep driving some more until you get to Columbus. Exit. Stop at McDonald's to go to the bathroom and break your sunglasses that you bought 3 days beforehand.
11. When you get back on the road in Columbus you'll be on the MT -78 S. Go on that 14 miles then Yippee! you're in Absarokee.
Things to do and see in Absarokee, Montana:
1. Sneeze and apply lotion, the dry air and freshly cut weeds cater perfectly to these fun activities
2. Drink a peanut butter milkshake. There may not be a ton of restaurants but the first one on the right is really good.
4. Grate 10 lbs of carrots for your brother's wedding cake.
5. See your brother get married.
6. Play “Ticket to Ride.”
7. Lose at “Ticket to Ride” to your sister who you just taught how to play.
8. Play “Connect Four”
9. Lose at “Connect Four” to your brother-in-law in four moves.
10. Go to Billings to watch minor league baseball.
11. Go to Red Lodge. Red Lodge has a main street twice as long as Absarokee's.
12. Dress like a cow girl
Directions: Absarokee, MT to Concord, CA
1. Load up cars. Same people same luggage.
2. Get back on MT – 78 S for 32 miles until you get to Red Lodge. Stop for coffee.
3. Go on Beartooth pass through the amazingly beautiful mountains that lead you into Yellowstone. Stop once or twice for pictures.
4. Time your trip so you barely miss seeing Old Faithful. Sit in the parking lot having a picnic for approximately 90 minutes until it goes again. During the picnic take note of the vast variety of people that hang out at National Parks. Watch Old Faithful, speculate on how it got it's name.
5. Backtrack a little until so you can see the hot springs.
6. Drive out through West Yellowstone go on US - 20 for 97 miles until you reach Idaho Falls, Idaho.
7. In Idaho Falls eat at The Olive Garden. They may be out of what you want but what better way to end a day of being in the car. Depending on your hotel there is a chance you can take a dip in an over chlorinated spa, this does wonders for the eyes.
8. To leave Idaho Falls (where they had never heard of the potato shaped ice cream sundae) get on I – 15 S for 43.5 miles.
9. Take exit #72/Twin Falls onto I-86 W go 63 miles
10. Continue on I-84 W – go 47.9 miles. About now you should be thanking your family for not living in Eastern Nevada. If you still aren't sure you lucked out...
11. Stop in Wells, Nevada. In Wells there is an option for a guided tour of historic down town. We opted to sit on the lawn in front of the Presbyterian Church and have a picnic. Most businesses in Wells are past their glory days but the Flying J has showers.
12. Get on I-80 W (yes!) drive for 172 miles (no!). Somewhere in these long 172 miles of nothingness you may decide that you have no desire to sleep another night in Winnemucca but would rather continue on driving all night. This is a great idea. But you should stop in Winnemucca at the park (next to the emergency room) to let children run and then go buy coffee.
13. Get back on I -80 West (at 7PM) – go 128 miles. This entire time may be filled with screaming toddlers in the backseat.
14. Stop in Fernly for the bathroom and to sedate small children.
15. Continue on I-80 W 209 miles,
16. Take exit #40/Benicia/San Jose onto I–680 S go 20.1 miles.
17. Arrive in Concord at 1 AM (2 AM, Mountain Standard Time).
18. Pace aimlessly until you get Michael Card's “Sleep Sound in Jesus” out of your head.

No comments: