Tuesday, October 10, 2006

"How" is "como", except when in cases like "how much", then it is "cuanto"

Well, today so far has been pretty productive. In the morning I taught kindergarten, then I ran errands, started another job, and did a pilates DVD. It is good that I’m doing more because the maid thinks I have too much free time, and she is probably right. I guess I’ll tell you about the job and if you have any questions about the rest feel free to ask away.
My New Job
So there is this girl from Wisconsin , Michelle, who used to work at NCA with my brother but now she works at this center for handicapped kids that come from poor families. And by poor I mean, one family is just a mom raising 3 kids on 300 cords a month ($17.50) and the rest make from 1000-3000 cords (so like $70-$210). The center does therapy, equestrian stuff, and has a little school area. There are morning and afternoon sessions and most kids come two times a week so in total about 50 kids. There are 5 full-time, Nicaraguan employees plus Michelle and some other lady, that I haven’t met, that is in charge. Well I guess all the employees have been wanting Michelle to teach them English but she really already has too much going on. So I am going to instead. Today I just went to look and they wanted me to start but I can already see a few challenges. I think all of them know a few words in English but some more than others, so somehow I need to figure out how to reach each level. One lady has been taking classes to get her GED and one of her classes is basic English. So because of this she has her view on how English should be taught. She had some pretty strong opinions on today’s lesson even though the other girl, who knows less English, was very engaged. I am excited that I will have fewer issues about classroom control than with my other classes. On the other hand with my younger classes I can get away with more vocabulary whereas these ladies have grammar questions, and English grammar is hard to explain. I’m planning on working at this place Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons, after I finish my other job, during their lunch breaks. Oh yeah and they wanted homework. In my other classes the homework is to draw a family tree, but I don’t think they would really appreciate that.
Hum…What Else?
-Yeah I didn’t quit my other job just now I have two.
-At school the teachers keep telling me I should buy a car, they think that just because I’m white I should be able to go out and buy a car no problem.
-I bought Nica food off the streets twice last week, including the vegetables, and didn’t get sick.
-Yesterday the power was out for an hour in the morning and then from 11am-5pm and then off again in the middle of the night.
-On Tuesdays the bread shop makes bagels. Today was cinnamon raisin which is exciting because the plain ones taste pretty much like those big pretzels from Costco.
-This afternoon we are supposed to be getting internet at our apartment, but actually last weekend one of our neighbors got wireless so we’ve been able to use that (as long as there is electricity).
-I am wearing jeans right now and it is way too hot.
-I miss being with all ya’ll but appreciate your attempts at keeping me connected.

No comments: