Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Better late than never?

Hey, how’s it going? I realize I had a pattern going with e-mailing on Tuesdays but I really didn’t have much to say yesterday, I don’t have much more to say today but I don’t want you to feel neglected.
· We have cable; right now I’m watching Latin American Idol. Efráin isn’t very good but I think the ladies like the whole Enrique Iglesias look.
· The rainy season started this week. I think it is supposed to start in May, so it’s a little late. The rain is a nice break from the heat but it means all of our laundry is hanging from the banisters to dry. I need to find a towel.
· Last Thursday there was a festival at my school to celebrate all of the departments in Nicaragua . Each grade prepared a presentation and I got to be a judge. Then we had a bazaar, and sold clothes for very cheap to the neighborhood and all the money went to the school. I was in charge of the 10 cord table so sold things for the equivalent of 60 cents. I think we made $200, so that pays for 2 months salary for a teacher.
· On Saturday I went with my roommate and we got pedicures for something like $10.
· Sunday I talked on the phone with my sister.
· Monday I didn’t have time left on my phone and I think my driver had the day off. Long story short, I didn’t go to work.
· Tuesday I didn’t go to school either, but I wasn’t supposed to. But I did go to my job in the afternoon. I really like working with those girls because the actually want to learn. They do homework and today they were assigning themselves homework.
· Today my students were crazy. In second grade I sent four girls out of the class to stand in the hallway, the entire class got recess detention for 5 minutes and if they talked they had to stay longer. These 5 minutes, were about 5 minutes longer than I had ever seen them quite and still before. One problem with this new policy is that one of the boys who had to stay after the initial 5 minutes just started crying and he wouldn’t stop. In third grade 5 boys had to stay after school most for 5 minutes, one took a while longer to shut-up so he had to stay for 11. I can’t even begin to express how terrible first grade was. Then all the teachers give excuses for their students’ terrible behavior, but really that doesn’t change the fact that they learn nothing and take 1st grade three times.
· This afternoon I took a two hour nap.

No comments: