Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Happy end of summer - and what a summer it's been

Usually these newsletters are just bursting out of me, but this time it seems a little more forced.  Then I thought it was too late to write Sunday night…because it was dark…but it gets dark at 7:45 so I can’t really schedule my life around daylight.  So I got to starting on Sunday but couldn’t finish because I got distracted by macramé (more on that later), then Monday I was almost finished but wanted to hold out for some exciting job news to share with you.

As far as my job goes, summer is really slow, which suits me just fine.  I see my boss about once a month and he’s got into the habit of starting the conversation (after singing joy to the world) by asking me when my next vacation is.  Usually I have something to say.

Trip 1a: At the end of May/beginning of June I went to Spain with my friend Carrie.  She had to go for work and I went as moral support, or something.  While she made appearances at her conference I walked the streets of Barcelona eating croissants and drinking café con leche.   Then she would come back and we’d eat other small portions foods and walk more.  It was really ideal.  We did not master the art of the selfie, but here is a picture this guy took of us in front of the Sagrada Familia with his dog. 

Trip 1b: After Barcelona I met Grant and Kandy in Ibiza.  Now if you have preconceptions of Ibiza, stop there…this is me...and Grant and Kandy. Grant’s aunt lives there and it’s very pretty.  Here I am with Kandy somewhere up high.




Trips 2&3: LA times 2.  The first time was to visit Esther and Dan and their unborn baby.   I went to help encourage Esther during her final trimester; I did this by eating and napping along with her.  The 2nd trip was for the summer conference and that’s always great.  I taught the 1st-3rd graders about the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit.  If only I had a picture of the dorky hats I made them make.  They complimented the fanny packs of truth they made a previous lesson very well. 

Trip 4: Mascota, Mexico.  After Barcelona I was thinking I would never be able to low budget travel again…but then this Mascota opportunity came up and, if you’ve been reading these for the past ten years, you know I can’t say no to Mascota.   I was invited to go down to help with a Vacation Bible School.  When I was praying and talking to people about going my dad said something like, “well, you don’t seem to like kids very much, but they like you and you do a good job with them.”  Then I was thinking it would be very impractical to go because I had already taken a lot of time off work, but my boss said he was OK with me going because it would help him earn points toward heaven.  With such resounding support how could I not go!    It was great, as always.  And not just because of the churros and tacos and the walking.    It was also great seeing God provide in spite of our lack of planning and seeing how much the kids appreciated us being there and reconnecting with people.  Here’s a group picture with a family (of sisters with lots of kids)that invited us to their house one afternoon to thank us for the camp.

​​
And another picture of a boy with some awesome sideburns wearing cowboy boots…just because.





Trip 5: After Mexico I was sure I wasn’t going anywhere else.  I told my coworkers I was committed to being around.  Then about one week later my uncle passed away and I went to Eugene, Oregon with stops in Grants Pass on the way up and down.  Not great circumstances but good to reflect on his life and fun being with the cousins that usually I only see like once a week.

Those were the main ones then sprinkled in were beach trips and hiking and brunches and being with lovely people. Every time I have an awkward or difficult interaction with coworkers I just am so grateful for the extreme flexibility I have, and hope God continues to show me how to use my time wisely.

But now I’m not traveling so I’ve taken up crafting…it’s practically the same.  I think I’m going to need to start wearing glasses because of cross-stitch, and my fingers are numb from macramé (plus the lack of sleep from finishing just a little more).  Then I saw this blog to make your own shirt without a pattern or really sizing, I was too cheap to buy fabric to try it out on so I bought this fabric for $1.50 at the thrift store, it’s not going to be pretty.  Last week I started Bible Study Fellowship again (Romans this year) and we were supposed to say something interesting about ourselves and I had nothing to say.  I was thinking about my old lady crafting habits, but since my group is mostly old ladies I didn’t think they would really think it was all that unique.

And for the job news I got a new trailer today! It still doesn't have a bathroom and has less privacy but I've been assured it will make me happier.  Aren't you glad I held off on sending this email until I had that news.




I hope you're doing well and learning lots and detesting what is evil and clinging to what is good (Romans 12:9)
Love,
Joy

No comments: