Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Walking

A few months ago I read that the average American walks 1.4 miles a week. Although I was appalled by this statistic I didn't do much to counter it, especially in the frigged rain. Now however, the days are sunny so I need to get over my laziness. I enjoy walking and have been trying to incorporate it more into my schedule (that I don't have).
On Saturday I was talking to my neighbor and she invited me to go walking with her and a friend at 5am for an hour and a half 3 times a week. For some reason while she was talking this sounded like a good idea, walking partners are a good motivation and walking in the mornings gets you energized for the day. I told her to let me know when their next day was and that I'd come. She texted me on Sunday night and I was still all in and excited. As soon as I set my alarm for 4:45 I started feeling a little sick. I knew I would be a little out of it in the morning so I picked out my multiple layers that I could quickly throw on in the morning (it is about 40 deg in the morning). I tried to fall asleep at a normal time but I kept staring at the clock and counting down the lack of hours I had left in the night, and then subtracting one because of the time change. Finally at 2am (t-2hours 45minutes) I came to my senses and saved a bail out text message in my phone to send to her at 4:30. I was then, able to fall asleep but was exhausted all of Monday, just the thought of waking up that early robbed me from sleep. This morning when I couldn't drag myself out of bed at 7:30 and could still see my breath outside at 8:30 I finally conceeded that that kind of walking plan wasn't suited for me and tonight I let her know that 5am walking wasn't going to be a reality in my life any time soon. She was very understanding and I did make plans with my sister-in-law to walk at 9. Baby steps.

No comments: