Monday, November 12, 2007

as things wind down...

Hello again lovelies, don't worry I'm back but do sincerely apologize for my recent lack of consistency. My computer is slowly dying a very painful death. Fortunately for you I just dropped a huge hint as to what someone could get me for Christmas in one month and 13 days.

Today is Monday November 12th and I am deciding what, besides my computer woes, to share with you. I started writing to you last week about how I need attention or, as people like to say, my love language is quality time. However, this morning I was much looking forward to being a lazy bum and a friend came over. Does it count as craving quality time when I would rather have it with myself? I think I need to remember that whole beggars can't be choosers things.

You may be wondering why am I writing this anyways on a Monday instead of being at school. The answer to that takes us back to last week. Last Monday morning I went to school thinking I had two more weeks of classes to review before a half week of finals and then graduation ceremonies the day after American Thanksgiving. Last Wednesday I was eating an apple during recess and our directora came to find me a let me know that English finals are on November 14th. That meant that my last class was on Friday the 9th instead of the 16th like I was expecting. So in summary, I'm finished with teaching (hopefully for my life). This Wednesday I have to go in to give my tests and then next Thursday and Friday I have to go for end of the year ceremonies and graduation. In honor of this I have a picture of me with one of my first grade classes.


I think I'll just stick with stories that have pictures because I guess people like those and I actually have a few. In Nicaragua it is difficult for people in the poorer classes to have anything other than civil weddings and some aren't even able to have those. So last Saturday at NCA there was a joint wedding for five of the maids. It was a really exciting thing for these couples, most of whom have at least five kids together, to have a church wedding. It was semi-out doors and we had hurricane like rain which went well with the proverb on the programs about many waters not being able to quench love. It was pretty fancy, I borrowed nice shoes. The picture is of the brides, obviously (the man isn't a groom).

Yesterday for lunch one of the brides invited my roommate Aimee over for lunch, when Aimee commits to situations that she thinks will be awkward she makes me go with her. The food actually ended up being really good and the two of us together probably understood about 60% of what was said the first time around and about 90% after they repeated things 8 times. Aimee volunteered my computer to one of the sons that like to fix computers, he said he would only take it if I have confidence in him. I'm not sure we know each other quite that well yet. We ate lunch with the parents and five of their kids and a cousin. The oldest son cooked and him and his brother served all the food. I'm sure my brothers have never done that so it was quite a shock for it to happen in the Nicaraguan culture which is even more machismo. There is a picture of us eating outside of their house minus Aimee (the other blonde is Aimee's student teacher who was no help at all in the Spanish department) and one of the boys that was still serving food. So it ended up not being that awkward after all, except at the end when our hostess Ana asked if we wanted to go on a field trip to the new grocery store. We declined.



On other exciting news, not in a photo. We had power all week last week. It is quite a different experience not having to plan showers and being able to watch TV (an obvious necessity). And don't worry about me not having enough to do this next month without classes. I am going to substitute for one of my roommates for a week (heath, anatomy, and PE don't laugh) and am planning a trip to the East Coast (hopefully not to get shipwrecked like my sister-in-law) and then I'll still have some time to think about processing the fact that I've live in Nicaragua and maybe some day soon I won't. Now I'll see if this will post even though I am using the slowest internet ever.

Love, Joy

No comments: